Tuesday, November 30, 2004

Maternity leave

For those who are still wondering, I will be taking maternity leave from my job. Fortunately I won't have to fight for it, like other adoptive parents have to do. It is shocking to me that we live in a society that is so work driven that some employers refuse to grant the same benefits to adoptive parents that they do to parents going through a pregnancy. In an adoptive situation it is imperative to spend time with the child after the adoption is final. There are often attachment issues involved. I also think people forget that babies have feelings, too. Our child is being raised by someone else right now, and when we travel to China to bring her back to Memphis, she will miss that person, just as an adult would. That is why I am taking time off from work. No, I won't be recovering from a birth, but helping our daughter recover from a major change in her young life.



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?