Monday, January 17, 2005

Words of wisdom

I've heard pregnant women say everyone offers them advice. The same can be said about parents-to-be who are adopting. But, instead of people stopping me on the streets or at work to offer words of wisdom, I have hundreds--maybe even thousands--of others to offer advice through cyberspace.

I am now a member of at least six Yahoo chat groups on the Internet. One is for families adopting from China with September DTC dates. One is for families adopting from China with September DTC dates who are using Great Wall Chinese Adoption. One is for all families (past, present, and future) who are using GWCA. One is for member of FCC Memphis. One is for members of FCC Memphis who are waiting to adopt. One is for all families who have, are in the process of, or are going to adopt Chinese children. On each group's site, members post messages, post opinions, ask questions and get answers.

Whew! There is a lot of information out there. Some of it is good, and some of it is bad. I got caught up reading about some bad things that happened to one family who was adopting from China. Then, I stayed up nearly all night worrying about the "what ifs..." What if that happened to us? What if there is a problem with our dossier? Those questions started to lead to more ridiculous thoughts. What if there is another SARS outbreak in China? What if the devastating tsunamis had hit China instead of India?

I finally decided that nothing in life is guaranteed, and I shouldn't make myself sick worrying about things I cannot control. I must have faith that all of this will work out and we will have beautiful baby daughter in a few months. I have stopped reading negative messages or stories and am focusing on the positive.

Most of you know I can't stop reading the messages posted on those sites, or posting myself! Some of it is good information. And, yes, I've dished out some advice, too!



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?