Sunday, January 22, 2006

Quite a scare

The new year has brought some new parenting experiences to our lives. This past week, we had quite a scare. Hallie had a runny nose and cough and fever on Tuesday. I kept her home from day care, although I didn't take her to the doctor. I had been running to the doctor every time she had a runny nose and the doctor always tells me it is just a cold, to give her over-the-counter medicine for the symptoms. She felt warm all day Tuesday, so I gave her Children's Tylenol throughout the day. Our ear-thermometer wasn't working properly (I don't think it ever has) so I never got a real temperature on her, but she felt very warm. I gave her a tepid bath, and finally got her down about 9 p.m. I was going to take her to the doctor first thing the Wednesday morning. Hallie woke us up crying at 10 p.m. Brett went up to ease her back to sleep. About 2 minutes later, he was yelling for me to get up...I ran into the living room and Hallie was in Brett's arms, eyes rolled back, convulsing! Her arms and legs were arched back and she was jerking so violently. Brett and I were in complete panic. I grabbed the phone and called 911 while Brett held her. While on the phone with 911, the seizure stopped, but she would not open her eyes and was unresponsive. The 911 operator told me to put her on her side, so Brett laid her on the couch and Hallie just moaned. She never stopped breathing. By the time the paramedics were here she was coming to. They took her temp and it was 103.9. They took Hallie and me by ambulance to LeBonheur Children's Medical Center, and Brett followed in the car. I was so upset since didn't take her to the doctor that morning, but the EMT said it wasn't my fault. They got her temp down in the ER.

Hallie had what is called a febrile seizure. It is caused in babies and young children when there is a sudden spike in their temperature. Apparently, this is hereditary, but not uncommon. She may have had one before we adopted her, but it was not in her health report. Now there is a 30% chance that she will have another seizure before she is 6. We were instructed to take her temp rectally from now on and if she is over 100.3, start Motrin immediately to try to prevent the seizure from happening.

I cannot describe for you how scary this was. Brett and I both were in tears. I was hysterical when the ambulance couldn't find our house (I was running down the street to flag them down--I'm sure that was a site in my pajamas!) We felt so helpless, like there was nothing we could do--and really there wasn't. The doc said if she has another seizure to lie her on a rug or carpet on the floor and just let her go and to never stick anything in her mouth. We need to make sure her head is turned to the side.

Five days have passed and Hallie is doing much better. She is on antibiotics for an ear infection (the cause of the fever). She is back to her normal, playful self. She is dancing, playing, laughing, and acting silly. She even went back to "school" on Friday, and Mommy went back to work. We're looking forward to a normal week, with no trips to the ER!



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?